From the Kenosha News on 2-10-08
You can find local Kenosha information on-line
Whether you’re looking for updates on the upcoming mayoral election, trying to decide what to do next weekend, checking if it’s blue bag week, or searching for a bus or train schedule, there are several web sites that can help.
- www.kenoshanews.com has many useful sections. You can check items from local gas prices to winning lottery numbers to classified ads. To find info on the Kenosha mayoral elections, I did a Google search for “Kenosha mayoral election” which pointed me to this site:www.kenoshanews.com/article_comments/view_comments.php?articleNum=969698240. Look at this site for statements from each candidate and more commentary.
- www.kusd.edu is Kenosha Unified School district’s main site. I like to bookmark a direct link to the school calendar at http://www.kusd.edu/cgi-bin/event/calendar.cgi, which shows days that school is off. (This will open a PDF document.)
- www.kenosha.org provides links to information about city government, including city offices, fire and police departments, parks, services such as garbage collection and recycling, Kenosha Public Library, Kenosha Public Museum, and much more. You can find city and school bus schedules by going directly to www.kenosha.org/departments/transportation/faq.html. You can look up your property tax information by using the link “Property Assessment Search” in the right-hand panel.
- www.co.kenosha.wi.us is Kenosha County’s web site, including court and property information.
- www.kenoshacvb.com represents the Kenosha Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, which promotes Kenosha attractions, accommodations, dining, and discounts. See Kenosha area events at www.kenoshacvb.com/calendar/Calendar.aspx.
- www.carthage.edu is Carthage College’s web site. From here, you can find information on sporting events by clicking on “Athletics” at the left, concerts and events by clicking “Calendar of events”, or evening classes by clicking the Adult Education panel near the upper right.
- www.uwp.edu is UW-Parkside’s web site. The section “Things 2 Do @ the U” on the right shows featured events, or click the “Local Communities” link at the left to see items of interest to the community.
- www.gtc.edu is Gateway Technical College’s web site. The WGTD radio station also has a web site at www.wgtd.org. From the WGTD web site, you can access the program guide by clicking on the Program Schedule link on the top toolbar, or you can even list live by clicking the link the corresponds to your bandwidth in the upper right corner.
- If you’re wanting to get out of town for a bit, you can view the Metra train schedule to Chicago at www.metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_n/cnwn.shtml, See the shuttle schedules and fares to O’Hare and Mitchell airports at www.coachusa.com/wisconsincoach; fill in the Origin as Wisconsin/Kenosha with the desired destination.
- happeningsmag.com/kcms – The web site for Happenings magazine.
- www.dailykenoshan.com includes news items and an interactive forum.
- www.cinemark.com. Enter your Kenosha zip code and click Go to see the movies currently playing at Cinemark’s Tinseltown movie theater in Kenosha.
- See info on local recreation options at www.kenoshaymca.org (for the YMCA) and www.recplexonline.com (for the Lakeview RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie.) Check out conditions and reserve a campsite at Bong Recreation Area through this site: www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/land/parks/specific/bong
By Carol Sabbar from the Kenosha News on 2-10-08